Hello, 👋, my name is Sophia Brandt.
Former tax officer turned software developer
I work as a full-stack software developer with a focus on front-end at a digital agency. I also volunteer as a Star Mentor and GitHub team member to the Zero to Mastery community where I help and support fledgling programmers.
When I was a stay-at-home mom, I started teaching myself to code - and I never looked back. 💜
I enjoy learning new programming languages, pen & paper role-playing games, and writing.
I’m interested in conflict resolution and trained as a mediator at Fernuniversität Hagen.
All my coding-related writing is available on https://www.rockyourcode.com.
You can find selected articles on Dev.to as well.
I also write a blog about pen and paper role-playing games at https://www.dieheart.net.
I gave a talk at the Softwerkskammer Ruhrgebiet about writing type-safe React applications with Reason. This talk stems from my experiences in learning ReasonML in public.
The repository and slides are available on GitHub.
I also talked about my experience getting a job in tech in a fireside chat for a coding bootcamp in 2021: Fireside Chat mit Sophia Brandt über ihre Erfahrungen mit der Job-Suche als Entwickler:in.
Save links for later
A full-stack Go web application build from scratch - without a web framework.
With this project I was able to learn more about writing production-ready Go services, dependency management and writing SQL queries.
- custom web service framework/handler to isolate dependencies and improve error handling
- middleware integration
- SQL database support using SQLite (easy to swap out to a different SQL database)
- no ORM, use of Go’s standard
database/sql library and
- user authentication and authorization with sessions
- profile view and change password
- form validation
- use of Docker, Docker Compose, Makefiles
- vendoring dependencies with Modules, requires Go 1.12 or higher
- Admin CLI with boilerplate templates to reduce repetitive copy/pasting.
- responsive HTML and CSS without media queries
- dark and light theme (via
Live Demo | Source Code
Ecommerce shop written in TypeScript/React.js, with Keystone.js as CMS
A full-stack Ecommerce application with incremental static site generation and server-side rendering.
- Role-based Permissions (only a user with permissions can see “Edit” and “Delete” button for a product and can perform these actions, etc.)
- Debounced Product Search with DownshiftJS
- Incremental Static Site Generation for product pages
- Server-Side Rendering for showing orders and updating products
- Advanced Usage of Apollo Cache for a snappy user experience by manipulating the Apollo Cache with
- Form Validation with React Hook Form
- Automatic Deployment via Docker Swarm and GitLab CI
- Testing with
react-testing-library and Jest
Live Demo | Source Code